Monday, January 23, 2012

Antique stars


Works of Joy


Definitely one of the things that I can't live without are the stars that my grandfather, Francesco Pro,  made over 75 years ago. He gave them as presents to each of his son's, and somehow my father got four, after Uncle Alphonse gave his to my dad.
I remember that my father painted them blue, installed a light bulb and hung them outside, from each corner of our house at Christmas. For decades they were stored in my parents attic, under layers of boxes.
When I finally got them I removed the paint and throughly cleaned the glass. They are made of copper that's soldered together with glass inserts. One of the points is hinged to allow access to the interior.
I have one hanging over my desk all year, but at the holidays they move to the main room.
I've seen other stars in antique shops in Italy and there are reproductions available here in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments