Sunday, October 25, 2009

Table made from reclaimed house beams

                            Reclaimed, post consumer, green finishes = 100% GOOD


                                                    Side



                                   Reclaimed beam table


This table is made of 100% reclaimed post consumer materials.

The top comes from 120 year old beams from a Philadelphia row house that was demolished. The beams are old growth Pine and were then re-planned sanded and joined together. All of the nail marks and checks are still visible. The finish is hand rubbed pure vegetable oils with no chemical driers or VOC's

The base is from a reclaimed school desk with a steel base, the base was burnished and refinished with a zero VOC clear coat resin.

The joining of two sections from the same beam not only saves on wood use, but also creates super interesting patterns!
The table measures 24"H x 36"L x 18 1/2"W, the top is 2 5/8" thick.

I'm starting to work on a few more with different size beam tops, and different bases too. 

For 4 years, I have been drying Birch that is from a hundred year old tree that was struck by lightning, taken down and saved, (not taken to the landfill).  This wood is now being finished for tops.

I think that it's MUCH better to have furniture in your house that has no chemicals leaching out of it and that you can trace it's heritage. 

That goes for the walls too, USG (United States Gypsum Co.) have just come out with a new wallboard product that is made from coal ash and has no formaldehyde (used in embalming fluid) in it. This is a BIG step, their product, at least here, is the same price as the 'regular' wallboard. 

Price on request








2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog. I was looking for modern architects in the area. Right now, we don't have a project for an architect (nor the money for one) but it is always nice to have eye-candy to brighten up my day :)
    Thank you for starting a blog. There aren't too many modernists in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alena
    Modern table

    ReplyDelete

comments